Thursday, June 7, 2012

Searching For That Perfect Coconut

There's something about that warm sweet toasted coconut scent I like, maybe because it's always associated with beach and summer and vacation???  If you soap cold process you would know it is difficult to find that perfect coconut fragrance that would survive saponification and still smell like what it supposed to be.  Most of the coconut related fragrance on the market either totally disappeared after soaping or it came back as vanilla or sweet sugar instead.  Well, this is my #X attempt.  This time I paired coconut fragrance up with complimenting Honey & Shea thinking even if the coconut doesn't survive I would not be that disappointed.  This big batch contains loads of unrefined shea butter, colloidal oatmeal, mango extract, and local organic honey (can you tell I'm trying so hard to be in the scheme?!  LOL).  It is in more in line of light sweet scent, you can really smell the colloidal oatmeal in it.  This is my Coconut Shea:

























This is also the first time I used a slab mold to make vertical bars, it produces a very square look slices, and they are chunky bars (I usually do bars between 4.5 to 4.8 oz)!  Every bar weights over 5.5 oz when cut, I'm pretty sure it will cure out more than 5 oz still.  After more than 2 weeks of cure, I'm satisfied with the light coconut vanilla like scent in this soap.  It is not as strong as the rest of my soap but it's surprisingly yummy and comforting.

5 comments:

  1. Love these bars so much! And I am so happy that someone else is searching for the perfect coconut fragrance too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I absolutely adore these! What a dreamy blue color you got, and those are some of the most planet-like soap embeds I've seen in a while. Are those sugar pearls you put on top? It seems to be your signature- do you use them on every batch?
    Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! No I don't use sugar pearls on every batch but it does seem like I used them a lot lately. You will see, later 2 batches I didn't use them because they are more unisex to masculine side.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful soap Emily ~ really pretty bars! I am glad you are happy with the scent :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love that, I want it so badly!!! LOL yuuuuummmmmm

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis